• question-icon

What causes shakiness, numbness in extremities, dizziness and fainting in a teenager?

Posted on Wed, 25 May 2016 in Child Health
Question: 16 year old endurance runner male, felt shaky, extremities went numb, dizzy, passed out, after holding his urine through a classroom lab. He held it because he was stressed out about leaving during the lab and losing points. After he went to the bathroom, he became shaky, fell to the floor, and was taken to the school nurses office.

He continued to be shaky at the nurses office for 20 minutes.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
He needs to be taken to the ER at the earliest

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone very carefully through the details. The first thing to check is the pulse and blood pressure. The next thing to be checked is the random blood sugar at that point of time. It is possible that any of these parameters has faltered leading to the problems he has faced. I would suggest taking him to the ER to get the assessment done. Based on the findings they can intervene accordingly. As of now give him fluids to drink. Make sure to give him juicy fruits like citrus fruits since they contain plenty of potassium which is needed for proper muscle functioning. Electrolyte imbalance can be another possible cause behind his problems.

The next level of assessment would be to get an echocardiogram done. An endurance runner has to stretch his limits, thereby creating taxation on the heart. This can lead to certain changes in the heart that makes it inefficient and prone to failure. Such a condition called cariomyopathy needs to be identified.

I would suggest an early intervention. He should be taken to the ER at the earliest.

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician