What causes severe weight loss in a teenager?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Fri, 31 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi. My 16 year old daughter has been losing weight since December. Around the middle of December she weighed 109lbs. A week ago she weighed 102lbs. Since then I've been trying to get her to eat more but her weight keeps fluctuating between 103 and 104. She has GERD and stomach pains if she eats too much or too fast. She considers eating a few chicken nuggets and about a dozen French fries too much. She is on tecta and zoloft and trazadone. I saw her pediatrician a few weeks ago and told him what was going on with her weight and he suggested boost to supplement her calorie intake. She lost even more weight so I went back and talked to him again and his suggestion was to see our family doctor and get him to admit her to pediatrics ward in the hospital for observation. We can't get in to see him for another week and a half. I'm considering taking her into walk in at our clinic in the morning. but I'm not sure if I should.
any advice is greatly appreciated.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Check her calorie intake per day.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to health care magic.
I can understand your concern.
There could be several causes for weight loss in children. One is inadequate low calorie diet.A 16-year-old girl should consume 1,800 and 2,400 calories daily, according to USDA. The amount of calories a 16-year-old girl consumes is also dependent on level of activity.You should consult a dietician to calculate exactly what her calorie intake is.Supplements will help but only when proper diet is taken by her.So,Check if your child is receiving adequate diet or not.
Another cause could be chronic infections like tuberculosis. Investigations like mantoux etc are required to confirm the diagnosis.Few tests i would like to advice her are
Liver function test(anti depressants are hepatotoxic).
Complete blood count
Total and differential leucocyte count(To rule out infection)
Stool test(worm infestation)
As she is on antidepressants i would advice her to give her probiotics regularly.Probiotics help to restore the flora of intestine which is destroyed by toxins released by medicines,apart from that enzyme supplements can be given to her to improve her appetite and digestion.
Therapy with albendazole 400mg(Deworming) can be given for 3 days to eradicate worms in her intestine

However a physical examination will give a clue to the cause and your child should be further investigated depending on physical examination findings.Yes you should take her to clinic.
Continue to ask further queries as required.
Hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy