What causes severe vomiting episode in a patient with type 1 diabetes?

Posted on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: My son XXXXXXX was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. He is 19 years old. In addition he has also been diagnosed with Grave disease, which makes he continually Hungry. He has lost 61 pounds in 4 months. So i am worry about him.
About 50 minutes ago my son woke up vomiting violently . He said he needed his insulin. His blood sugar level at this point was 485. I wanted to rush him to the hospital, but he said he just needed the insulin and he would be alright.. Now that he has taken the insulin he wants to eat something. . I thought that we were told he must wait about 1 hour. I don't remember. Now he he has fallen asleep. Do you think I should of given him something to eat and is it normal for him to just go to sleep.
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not to give solid food as he had recent vomiting episode

Detailed Answer:
Good day,

Noted your concern. Type 1 diabetes and Grave's disease are auto immune disorders. So your son is likely to have poly glandular auto immune disease.

In Grave's disease, the insulin metabolism is faster and diabetes gets uncontrolled.

If he had a severe vomiting episode, it is better not to feed him solid food now.
Best to give him some clear fluids first and wait. If he is not vomiting, then you may give liquids like soups. If he is tolerating that, then give solid food.

However, if he is drowsy or sugars persistently high, if dehydrated or if there is continuous vomiting, please take him to hospital. These may be signs of diabetic ketosis ( DKA).
Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai

Endocrinologist