What causes severe vomiting, diarrhea and fever?

Dr. Nishad BN

Posted on Mon, 14 Aug 2017 in General Health
Question: My brother-in-law is in Moldova. He is experiencing throwing up, diarrhea, fever, severe pain on his left side . Earlier in the week he went to a clinic there, and they gave him treatment for dehydration. He has medic-vac insurance. What might the problem be? He thinks it is a virus. He's supposed to be on an 11-hour fight from Frankfurt to XXXXXXX XXXXXXX tomorrow evening. Any suggestions? Thank you so much. I can give you his email address if that's more appropriate.
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Oral rehydration solution.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thank you for asking HCM

I have gone through your query. Taking ORS will be helpful to restore his electrolytes. Avoid milk. He can take bananas, yogurt or kefir. Taking probiotics like bifidobacter or sacharomyces boulardii also will be helpful.
I would also recommend to do stool routine investigation to rule out infection. In such case antibiotic therapy will be required.
How many he is having diarrhoea now?
Is it so frequent?
Does it contain mucous or blood?

Let me know if anything not clear.
I am happy to help you.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng