What causes severe vomiting after alcohol consumption?

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Mon, 12 Sep 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I was out drinking last night and had quite a few drinks. It was at a party, and I had about 4 shots of ever clear, 6 beers, a shot of XXXXXXX and some "jungle juice." I came home at around 4 in the morning, and immediately fell asleep until about 9:15. Ever since then I have thrown up every 15 minutes it seems. I have tried exercising, I have drank plenty of water and Sprite, and I have tried sitting in a hot tub. I've also taken Tums, Vitamins, and Ibuprofen. Nothing seems to work. Lastly, I cannot hold down any food. Is this a hangover, alcohol poisoning, or a stomach bug? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It's due to consuming too much alcohol

Detailed Answer:

I am sorry to hear that you had consumed that large amount of alcohol at your age (only 19).

Your body is not designed to hold that amount, that's why you're not keeping any food.

This will go on for today only, and by tomorrow you'll be ok. with only little effects.

I'd recommend to continue drinking plain water with lemon soda throughout the day.

Avoid foods especially those fried, oily or processed foods as your stomach won't keep them.
Have light meals instead, like yogurt, vegetable soups.

Continue with Tums and ibuprofen. Take OTC ORS to replace the lost fluids through vomiting.

If by the end of the day, you won't get better or will get worse, then should go to ER for immediate medical assistance as might need prescription meds.

Wish fast recovery.
Dr.Albana