• question-icon

What causes severe vaginal bleeding post a colposcopy?

Posted on Wed, 13 Jul 2016 in General Health
Question: I had a colposcopy done wednesday for a pap smear result of ascus. My obgyn took a biopsy and since i have bled a little every day. Mostly brown but also a little pink. For how long might i expect this ?
Answered by Dr. Jacqueline Brown 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You may bleed for a week or so, depending on how extensive the biopsy

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and I would be happy to answer your question today.

Coloscopy biopsies are normally only a few millimeters in diameter, so the site usually only bleeds for a few days. However, many doctors use a substance that contains iodine during colposcopy, which can linger as a brownish discharge for even a week or two. You can also expect a greater likelihood of spotting if you are close to the time your period is due.

I am sure one of the other doctors explained to you that you should not put anything inside the vagina for at least 2 weeks for the biopsy site to heal. Even when your bleeding stops, you have a scab inside that can start bleeding again if it is dislodged by a tampon. Also avoid high impact physical activity for the first week as well.

If you experience any heavy vaginal bleeding with clots, you should call and notify your healthcare provider. Otherwise, the spotting and brown discharge is normal and may even last a week or two.

I hope I was able to adequately answer your question today and that my advice was helpful. If you need anything further, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best wishes,

Dr. Brown
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Jacqueline Brown

OBGYN