What causes severe tooth pain post a root canal?
I had root canal done about 2 years ago at one of my back upper tooth. the pain was gone after the crowning.however the gap between the neighboring tooth still exist . So I ask the dentist if it is possible to seal up the gap as food will still get stuck often and in future it will cause problem again. My dentist told me nothing can be done except that I have to take extra care and floss after every meal.
After sometime food is always stuck after meals and I had a floss with me everyday . Recently after eating meat of vegetable , once the food get stuck it becomes very painful. I went to another dentist who did a wash up, the pain subsided. After a few days, the pain comes again when I start to bite on meat. The pressure used on the tooth to bite is not painful, it is the gap that stuck meat get painful . After flossing it gets better and this continue for the past 6 months .
What can be done? I tried knocking on the tooth, no pain. Hot or cold no pain.
Food getting impacted on gums, can go for a bridge..
Welcome to HEALTHCARE MAGIC..
I have gone through your query and can understand your concerns..
As per your complain it seems that there is gap between the two teeth due to Small sized cap that is placed on the tooth which you have got root canal done..
When you bite the food it gets impacted in the gums in between two teeth leading to pressure and pain..
If I would be your treating dentist I would suggest you to get an IOPAR (x Ray ) of both the teeth done to confirm that if there is any progressive decay..
If the teeth are completely healthy I would have advised you to get a two unit bridge done that will cover the root canal treated as well as adjacent teeth ..
The space will eventually close up and you will no longer have the discomfort..
You can discuss about the same treatment with your dentist and revert me back with the response so that I can guide you further..
Any further questions are welcome..
Hope this information helps..
Thanks and regards.
Dr.Honey Nandwani Arora.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Severe pain after root canal
- Does tooth pain mean root canal
- Root canal tooth pain
- Tooth pain root canal after septoplasty
- Will a tooth that need a root canal cause problems with hoarseness
- What are the reasons for severe pain after root canal
- Tooth pain following root canal
- Excruciating pain in tooth post root canal is it possible
- Is root canal treatment good for tooth pain
- Root canal pain cause low blood platelets
- Suggest treatment for radiating pain in jaw
- Suggest treatment for raised bumps on tongue
- What causes cramps and weakness post intake of Clindamycin and Oxycodone?
- Is Tylenol advisable for pain while on Ramipril and Atorvastatin?
- What causes gum sensitivity along with puffiness and sensitivity inside...
- What causes a painless patch inside the left cheek?
- What causes bleeding gums while brushing?
- What causes lower front teeth pain and bleeding gums while on Storvas?
- What causes severe tooth pain post a root canal?
- Suggest remedies for dental abscess