What causes severe tooth pain post a root canal treatment?

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Dental Health
Question: Hi,

I had got a root canal treatment done around 8 years back on two of my molars with crown on each. Around 6 months back the crown started chipping and I consulted a Dentist who said its not a cause of concern and crown can be replaced but not necessary. So I didn't get it replace. Since yesterday on of the tooth is casing pain while chewing and on touching. What could be causing it and what should I do about it.

Thanks,
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Re-infection in tooth, x Ray, medication.

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Welcome to HEALTHCARE MAGIC..

I have gone through your query and can understand your concerns..

As per your complain it seems that in case of there is pain in your tooth that is root canal treated then the most probable cause for it can be re- infection in the tooth..

There is also a possibility that due to chipping of the crown of the tooth there is disturbances in the occlusion of the tooth leading to some high points or premature contact points with opposite tooth leading to pain..

I would like to a few more details so that I can guide you further..

1.Is the pain only present on touching or chewing or some pain is otherwise also present?
2.Is there any swelling also present?

Kindly revert back with reply..

Hope this information helps..

Thanks and regards.
Dr.Honey Nandwani Arora.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 8 minutes later
Thanks for your reply.

1. The pain is only there in that tooth and happens while chewing, touching, or if the opposite tooth touches it a little hard (empty mouth). Other than that I am not feeling any pain.
2. There is no swelling but a few mouth ulcers.

Thanks,
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Either infection or high points..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Welcome back..

As per your response I would suggest you to get an x ray of your tooth done to check whether the pain is due to infection in the area near the root tips of teeth or it is due to high points which the dentist will check using articulating paper which they have in their clinic..

In case if there is re infection then the dentist will first give you a course of antibiotics and Anti-inflammatory painkillers..
In case if the infection will resolve with it then it is fine otherwise repetition of root canal treatment has to be done..

In case of high points trimming of the crown or replacing the crown can resolve the problem..

Aa of now you can take Ibuprofen or Diclofenac to relieve pain..
You should take soft diet and avoid chewing from painful side..

Any further questions are welcome..

Regards..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T