What causes severe throat irritation?
So, I have been told by Peptest, that I have over 500 ng of pepsin 3 times a day. They said that PPI's won't protect against this, and only gaviscon advance can. The problem is still irritation in my throat. Would an endoscopy be able to take a sample of this irritated tissue to find what strain of bacteria has colonized, and therefore what exact antibiotic would help with the healing? Is there anything else I can do? I have been eating the crazy acid reflux diet, sleeping with my head up, I don't overeat and I weigh very little.
I read carefully all your concerns and I can say as follows:
1.You are reporting to have peptest and pepsin level is more than 500.It means that your symptoms are more related with high pepsin level and this is the cause why the treatment was not successful.
2.You can start to use gaviscon three times per day to get relief.
3 With regards to throat you can do swab throat test , there is no need for upper endoscopy.
swab throat test will determine if there is need for antibiotic treatment.
Hope it was helpful to you.
Also, if this pepsin has destroyed my throat, are there certain antibiotics that would help more than others if bacteria has colonized? Is there anything, even natural that can help with the healing, as I have had a sore throat now for 10 months!
Hi back my dear,
Sorry for my late.
If you feel that the infection is too low of your throat than upper endoscopy will help you to take biopsy of your throat.
If your throats are colonized with bacteria than there are a lot of antibiotics like cefalosporins that will help to eliminate them.
With regrads to natural drugs I can suggest you to use hone with baking soda together and swallow it.
Since you have 10 month with these issues to my opinion you need to consult a specialist ENT.
Hope iut was helpful to you.
I have looked into asking my ENT for a microlaryngoscopy to take swabs or biopsies of my throat, but I am not sure if that will go down to under my adam's apple.
Should I ask for this, or should I ask my gastroenterologist to do another endoscopy, and take throat samples as well. The last time I asked my gastro this, they said they can't take throat samples.
How do I get the answers I need from these doctors? Would you do a microlaryngoscopy, or an endoscopy with directions from the ENT?
With regards to tonsils and biopsy of them the Ent specialist and microlaringoscopy are most accurate than gastroenterologists with endoscopy.
It means that ENT are specialists for tonsils issues, but often they give directions to their patient to find out the underline causes of sore throat performing endoscopy.
At your case since your gastroenterologist can't get biopsies of the throat than you should ask your ENT specialist to get biopsy from them by using Microlaringoscopy.
In fact you must do throat biopsy to find out the causes of sore throat.
Wish you fast relieve!
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Fumes causing throat irritation
- Does costochondritis cause throat irritation
- Lower throat irritation causes
- Deviated uvula throat irritation causes
- Chapati cause throat irritation
- Chronic throat irritation causes
- Constant throat irritation causes
- Throat irritation causes
- Sweets cause throat irritation
- Minor throat irritation causes
- Have Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome due to mild lupus. Have...
- Had sinus infection and prescribed with amox clav. Recommended to have...
- Using anti wrinkle cream with Retinol. Lips peeling and crackling....
- What causes feeling of foul taste coming from stomach when i burp?
- Suggest treatment for abdominal pain and vomiting post hip surgery
- Is it normal to have spillage from fistulectomy wound?
- Suggest treatment for abdominal pain
- What causes dark stools and itchy anus?
- What causes burning in the upper part of throat?
- What does elevated CA level indicate?