What causes severe testicular pain?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Tue, 4 Apr 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Today when i was putting my pants on i bent over and lifted my left leg and my left testicle had this slight pain. I repeated this motion on the right side and it didnt hurt. When i got worried i did the same thing again and the left side hurt again. I did run and did workout today and didnt stretch and i normally dont stretch anyway. I have had this pain before but im just curious as it seems to come and go randomly.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:

I understand from your description that the pain is always on the left side, and always mild.

If there is sudden onset of pain and it is a significant amount of pain, you should go in to be seen immediately. You should also go in if the pain is worsening, or it just doesn't go away.

It may be due to irritation of a nerve when you lift your leg.

Other possibilities include and infection of the epididymis, but this would more likely to cause continuos problems.

Testicular torsion (twisting) happens more frequently in your age group, but the pain is most often very severe, not slight. A testicular ultrasound will show if this is happening.

Torsion of a testicular appendage is a condition that can mimic testicular torsion, but the pain is usually not as severe.

Hernias can cause pain on one side too, but the pain tends to be more ongoing.

Diagnosing the cause of acute testicular pain requires:

History and exam
Urinanalysis and possibly a culture if warranted
Gonorrhea and Chlamydia tests if you are at risk for these
Scrotal Ultrasound with Doppler flow if the examining doctor suspects torsion or trauma to the testicle or it's structures

Most likely, this is mild irritation of a nerve, but if it persists or worsens, then do go in to be seen and evaluated.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 9 minutes later
Okay, thank you. Ill see if this pain continues. But its not there unless i bend over and move my left leg. Thank you .
Brief Answer:
Your Welcome

Detailed Answer:
Your welcome. When you go in to see the doctor, let him/her know this and they can examine you while you are lifting your leg as you described.

Best regards,
Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh, MD