What causes severe swelling, pain and discoloration in the foot of a diabetic?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Question
I have diabetes I have been waking two miles a day my blood sugar dropped from 9.2 to 7.6 but my right foot started swelling up on the top behind the toes it hurts like I dropped a heavy weight on it there is a little darkness almost looks like a bruise
at the swelling is this from overdoing my walking. I have been walking every day since mid July
Wed, 23 May 2018 in Lump

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it's possible

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.

Very often, diabetics have impaired sensation on foot and toes so it may lead to unnoticed injury. So this may explain the hematoma (the swelling and bruise like darkness).

In this case, it should pass on rest, ice and painkillers. Also, keep your legs elevated and apply elastic bandages.

However, if this bruise spreads or redness with fever occur then diabetic foot may be present and infection may start.

In this case, you need antibiotic treatment as soon as possible. It would be good to have very comfortable shoes and walk on the soft ground.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Wish you good health.