• question-icon

What causes severe swelling in the abdomen?

Posted on Sat, 29 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My stomach can swell up the size of a basketball at times. its very uncomfortable and the only way it goes down is when i sleep or have gas. but i cant force the gas..what is my problem? It is intefering with my life on a daily basis

gas-x and those types of pills dont work
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Some practical advises.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using HealthcareMagic to post your health query.
I read your question carefully and I can understand your concern.

The swelling in the stomach comes from the excessive production of gases in the intestine and bowel. The gas is mostly caused by some specific foods, that I would suggest that you try to avoid. These foods are the hot spicy foods, fatty foods, especially fried foods, and legumes.

Also, try eating a little more slowly because when you eat fast, you swallow extra air with your food. Try to not talk while eating.

Eating smaller meals more frequently may be beneficial as well. It is easier on your intestines and can decrease gas.

Try to eat a balanced diet. Foods with high fiber may initially increase gas
production but this will decrease over time.

Drink plenty of fluids and avoid alcohol(if at all consume), excessive coffee, and smoking(if at all do).

Do this changes gradually and one at a time. Don't pressurize yourself too much. The most effective way is doing this gradually.

Ultimately, one important reminder, in case if you haven't done in the past 10 years, is to do a colonoscopy which is recommended for every person over 50 years old. It will rule out any other possible bowel pathology.

If worse or not better despite this, I would recommend seeing a local doctor for a thorough check-up.

Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you need more clarifications.

Dr. Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Klarida Papaqako