What causes severe swelling in face and pus filled eyes after a rhinoplasty?
I'm 3 weeks post-op from a rhinoplasty to correct a septum perforation and ear graft to build a bridge. By Day 2 after surgery, my face was so swollen I was unrecognizable. Eyes swollen shut and full of puss. After reaching out to Dr. and on call Nurses, they all said swelling is normal. Finally, my wife brought me to the ER where they started me on a 10-day antibiotic without doing a culture. Anyways, at my follow up with the assisting surgeon yesterday I was informed that I have E. Coli and Klebsiella in my nose. Any idea how this happened? I read that they are both resistant to antibiotics. Also, the septal repair was unsuccessful from all the infections. Just looking for insight.
I attached 2 photos. The first is at day 2 after procedure. Everyone kept saying I was fine, but we knew not. The second is me today, with a 20 degree upturn that I did not want. I don't look anything like me. I didn't go for cosmetic surgery, it was to repair what I had left of a septum.
Better to consult with your operating doctor
Welcome to HCM.
I have gone through your query and uploaded images and report.
They suggest that you may be suffering from the cellulitis of your face most probably due to the infection.
In this condition I personally suggest you that you may go for the broad spectrum injectable antibiotic till culture and antibiotic sensitivity test. No need to worry that antibiotic also available for E. coli and Klebsiella. Better to consult with your operating surgeon because on seeing the latest image you are looking fine expect your culture report.
I also have gone through your second image that showing the 20 degree upturn most probably due to the over augmentation of your tip of nose.
You may go for the
1. Antibiotic sensitivity test for selection of antibiotic.
2. Total leukocyte and differential count and ESR for infection.
Dr Hariom Sharma MS, XXXXXXX
Can you tell me how many degrees I can expect my nose to settle down, on average?
Also, how likely is it to get both E. Coli and Klebsiella at the surgical site? Did I get it during surgery?
Not during the surgery
I have gone through your follow up query and for your kind information your nose to settle down to near normal i.e. about 10 to 15 degree but it can take as long as a year for the final shape to become apparent.
Most probably infection to the surgical site is not during the surgery but may be post operatively.
Dr Hariom Sharma MS, XXXXXXX
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Pink eye after rhinoplasty
- Itchy eyes after rhinoplasty
- What causes a dent in nose rhinoplasty
- Rhinoplasty nose disfigured swelling cause
- Rhinoplasty causing lazy eye
- Eye pain after rhinoplasty
- Sunbed cause swelling after rhinoplasty
- Stingy eyes after rhinoplasty
- Eye strain after rhinoplasty
- Eyes burn after rhinoplasty
- Have vertigo and IgG deficient. Taking antibody replacement therapy....
- Shaky voice and words are not clear. What could be the reason?
- Had outer ear infection due to using cotton swab. Prescribed Neomycin...
- Undergone surgeries on neck and back. Have diabetes, arthritis and...
- Have dark brownish/red dime-sized spot. Developed fever. Should I be...
- Diagnosed with strep throat and on Zpac. Neck, mouth and teeth hurts....
- Having headache and neck pain. Esophagram result came normal and thyroid...
- Suffering from continuous nose blockages and using nasal sprays. Told as...
- Throat irritation and pain while swallowing food. Should I be worried?
- Suffering from dry throat with soft palate and uvula sagging. What is...