• question-icon

What causes severe swelling along with discoloration in the lower leg?

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Husband, 70years old
Severe swelling left knew and down to foot , 3 weeks
Severe swelling and discoloration right ankle and foot, just noticed this morning.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

When there is swelling in one leg, particularly in the lower leg, and no past history to explain this, it is important to rule out a deep vein thrombosis (DVT). A DVT is a blood clot that forms deep in the veins, usually of one lower leg. It can have serious complications because a piece of the clot can travel in the blood stream to other organs such as the brain or lungs. For that reason, your husband's symptoms need to be evaluated. Even though it has been 3 weeks, do not wait further, but please go to the ER now. There they can have a doppler (ultrasound) done to assess for DVT, and treat accordingly (such as with blood thinners).

So please do go in to the ER now.

There can be other causes of the swelling and discoloration, such as more superficial obstruction, but DVT must be ruled out.

Please let me know if I can provide further information.
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh