What causes severe stomach pain in children?

Posted on Tue, 28 Apr 2015 in Child Health
Question: Hello Doctor my 3 yr old son has been getting severe stomach ache for 6 days now and the pain continues for 2-3 hrs (3-4 times a day) He doesn't have diarrhoea, fever or vomiting. We visited our Pediatrician and she asked us to give anafortan which didn't help so she asked us to give Meftal-spas in case of extreme pain. We also did sonography, urine,liver and blood test and everything was normal. Now our doctor has asked us to do CT scan of his abdomen. He is passing stool once in 2-3 days, from the time he's getting the pain otherwise it was regular (once a day)and his food in take has reduced. Doctor asked us to stop giving him milk which we did. I had given him zentel on the 1st day of pain. Could worms be the cause of pain? If not what could be the reason for pain? Please advice
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It might be constipation related pain

Detailed Answer:
Hi... By what you quote I feel that it might be constipation related pain.

I have certain questions and suggestions for you.
Questions:
1. Did your kid pass motion or meconium on day one of life?
2. Since how long is the kid constipated?
3. Does the kid have any bleeding along with hard stools?
4. How much milk does the kid consume per day?
5. Does the kid eat fruits and vegetables (fibre diet) appropriately?

Get back to me with answers to above questions please.

regards - Dr. Sumanth

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology