• question-icon

What causes severe stomach pain, fever, lethargy and headache?

Posted on Sat, 22 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My 37 year-old daughter started feeling ill last evening with strong stomach pains, anda fever that spiked at 102 degrees. She felt lethargic and as the fever declined, her pains lessened but she was bothered by a headache near her neck. She used an ice pack and tylenol for relief. She refused to go to a clinic and eventually fell asleep. Earlier that evening she had eaten a frozen store-bought meal of some shrimp. In the afternoon, she had swam in a kiddie pool filled with with water from a garden hose. She felt better this morning with no temperature, but still achy and some lethargy. She just now, while taking a shower, discovered that she had rashes over a good portion of her body. What could be wrong? Food poisoning; non-potable water exposure; allergies? Please advise. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Gastroenteritis most likely

Detailed Answer:
Dar Ms, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns for your daughter,

It seems that your daughter is suffering from gastroenteritis that is causing her the fever, stomach pain and possibly rash. Another cause of the rash could be the shrimp meal which could have caused an allergic reaction.

I would recommend that she continues on Tylenol, together with Metronidazole 400mg three times daily(may need a prescription from the local physician). If she still has stomach cramps then she can take an antispasmodic as visceralgine(Tiemonium).

Also, make sure that she is adequately hydrated as fever can cause dehydration.

I hope I answered your question. Let me know if I could assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Salah Saad Shoman