• question-icon

What causes severe stomach pain, cramps and headache with a history of constipation?

Posted on Fri, 27 May 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I've been constipated for a couple of days. Then yesterday I ate more corn beef and cabbage than I should have. By bedtime, I had a belly ache. XXXXXXX Selzer didn't help. I woke up at 5am with an intense belly ache. I've had this before and usually an XXXXXXX Selzer and a laxative quickly resolved the problem. Notches time. I had that intense belly ache until about 1pm when it began to subside. It's not too bad now but my stomach is tender and and I've got a headache and feel a little warm. My temp is about 99.5. Suggestions?
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Constipation flared by diet perversions.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. All your symptoms of belly aches, cramps and headaches are attributed to constipation. Age related bowel functions decline make the medicines hard to work. Good thing is there is a long list of laxatives you can choose from and with this trial and error , you can find the one which is best and perfect for you bowels emptying. Some times if the medicines dont help, suppositories and enema are next option.

More important is diet and lifestyle modifications. More fiber and fluids intake minimum of 35 gram fiber and 12 glasses of fluids are mandatory in 24 hours. Along with it good exercises like walking, jogging etc and good bowel habits like 10 minutes in toilet after 10 minutes of early breakfast is the best time for bowel movements.

Talk to your doctor and let them devise some options of laxatives for you to choose from and decide what is best for you. I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan
Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan