• question-icon

What causes severe stomach pain and nausea after taking Vivotif?

Posted on Tue, 11 Jul 2017 in Child Health
Question: My family is travelling to South XXXXXXX in 2 weeks and we took our first dose of vivotif typhoid live vaccine last night at 5pm. My wife and I are fine, but my 9 year old daughter started having severe stomach pain and nausea at 8am now the next morning. She is writhing and crying and describes the pain as an 8 out of 10. She just vomited at 10:45am and says she feels better but the stomach pain is still a 4. The side effects listed say nausea and stomach pain may occur but be mild or short lived, but hers do not seem mild. She has no other symptoms, no fever, or any signs of an allergic reaction. I am wondering if I should still give her the final 3 doses we are supposed to take tomorrow and then every other day through day 7?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibly independent to the vaccine.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query carefully. Your child has an episode of gastritis which is possibly independent of that of the vaccine.

Proper fluid replenishment with ORS (oral rehydration solution) should be done. Unless this is done, it could lead to fluid and salt depletion. Giving juicy fruits like citrus fruits and bananas should help in replenishing the salts and would ease the situation.

You also need to give some antiemetic like Ondansetron when needed. Prilosec (omeprazole) [OTC] half a tablet can be given once a day. Please be patient. But if the child grows lethargic you would have to rush her to the hospital. Monitor the urine output. If it is reduced you would need to increase the fluid intake and if that does not suffice you might need to visit the hospital.

I would insist you to complete the vaccination course as scheduled.

Feel free to write back.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 38 minutes later
Thank you for your advice, my wife is at the store buying those items right now. My daughter now has diarrhea and cannot leave the toilet for the past 30 minutes. But her pain seems to be less now. While it is possible that this is independent of the vaccine, we really think it is a side effect of the vaccine. We will continue to administer the vaccine to her. But my follow up question is: if we assume this is a side effect from the first dose of the vaccine, would she likely have similar side effects after each of the final 3 doses in coming days? Or is the first dose usually the worst side effect since it is new to the body. I was hoping to reduce my wife's fear of giving my daughter additional doses by saying if she has more side effects they won't be as bad on the 2nd 3rd and 4th pill.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
The symptoms are unlikely to show up again for the subsequent doses

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.

The mentioned symptoms are typical for gastroenteritis and usually last for a couple of days. I do not suppose that it is a side effect of the vaccine. Even if we assume that the mentioned symptoms are a side effect of the vaccine, I do not suppose that such symptoms would occur in case of the subsequent doses.

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician