What causes severe stomach cramps, excessive gas and chills?

Dr. Mukund Savaskar

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 26 Aug 2015 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Last night was ok until I went to bed had severe cramping in upper stomach felt like worst case of gas I have ever had then started feeling cold woke up within an hour felt as if I was freezing and my entire body was shaking from being cold. Added blankets to the bed and after roughly an hour the shaking and stomach pain went away. Did not have a temperature. Did have diarreaha with stomach pain 2-3 hours before I went to bed. I am 43 year old white male with no history of any thing remotely similar to this.
Answered by Dr. Mukund Savaskar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Chills with Stomach Cramps due to Food induced Diarrhea -Gastric Flu?

Detailed Answer:
Provisional Diagnosis-Chills with Stomach Cramps due to Food induced Diarrhoea -Gastric Flu?
HI,Dear thanks for the query to HCM virtual Clinic.
I understood your health concerns.
From the facts given you seem to have Gastric Flu-due to the food induced diarrhea,which followed with Sever Chills and Stomach cramps 2-3 hours later.
You might be wondering why ?Chills with cramps in Stomach,when no similar illness was experienced by you in the past?
From your query,it is not clear what exactly want to have from ME and HCM.
The cause of the Chills is the infection,mostly due to the bacteremia / viremia post diarrhea you had.
I would advise you to enlighten more on the expectations you desire from this reply.
I tried to explain more on the cause of the chills with Stomach cramps,you had after the diarrhea.
Treatment plan which I would advise for You is as follows -
Restrict your routine food.
Electrolyte liquid sips , initially till your appetite comes back to normal for a day or two.
Restrict to liquid diet with bland soft porridge x 2 days time.
Take antispasmodic / antibiotic drugs from ER primary doctor.
Be on Skimmed butter milk if you can x for a day or two.
IF no relief consult ER Physician who would investigate and treat it accordingly.

Hope this would recoup the losses you had.
Welcome for any further query in this regard to ME and to HCM.
Be specific with all its details,as to what more you want from this reply from HCM and ME.
Wishing you fast recovery.
Awaiting further query with more details
Have a Good Day.
Dr.Savaskar M.N.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj