What causes severe stomach ache below the chest?

Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju

Posted on Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi,
I am XXXXXXX XXXX here again.
I have servere pain in my stomach just below the chest on right hand side. It happened today morning at about 03:00 hrs. and it lasted till 08:00 hrs.
The pain was servere, uncomfortable and suffocating. It was like something is pulling me.
First, I suspected two things...1) Problem with my stomach/ gas problem or 2) heart problme as it was near to my chest.
I went for a motion and then walk. Took slow breathing and relaxed for an hour. Agani, went for a motion...seems to be lots of gas...then got relief at about 08:: hrs after 5 hours of struggle.
I am feeling its gas problem and there are burp occassionally to give me relief and sometime my stomach is rolling/bubbling.
Please advice. I would like to have it checked to avoid such incident.
XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Acid reflux

Detailed Answer:

Symptoms you described - pain in stomach today morning ,lots of gas while passing motion, burp occasionally - are most likely due to acid reflux (Gastro esophageal reflux). Acid reflux could be due to your food habits or could be due to medication which you are taking currently may cause ulcers in stomach.

If I were your treating doctor I would suggest Proton pump inhibitors like Omeprazole one tablet before break fast. This is the over the counter medicine. It decreases acid production in stomach.
If your symptoms improved after 5 days of this medication you can continue it for 4 weeks.
If your symptoms do not improve or persist I would suggest you visit a Gastroenterologist for Endoscopy to rule out Peptic ulcer or to know any damage to stomach walls.

Please do not take food before going to bed. Take food 2 hours before bed.
Drink plenty of water.
Avoid spicy food.
Eat small meals.
Continue your walk.

Hope I have answered your query.
I f you have any queries I will be happy to help you.
Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 37 minutes later
Hi Dr. Bhagyalaxmi,

Thank you very much for your findings and advice.
I will go for as per your medine as prescribed and see the outcome.

However, I wanted to do thorough check up for this problem at the earliest.
How can I do this if I have to do and where?

Please advice.

Best regards XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need Gastroenterologist.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing back.
For investigations you need to visit a Gastroenterologist.

May I know your location to help you further. I see your location as Hong Kong on this question. If so please confirm.

Hope I have answered your query.
If you have any queries I will be happy to help you.
If you do not have any queries please close this discussion and rate the answer.
Thank you.

Follow up: Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 1 hour later
Hi Dr.

Thanks for your prompt response.

I am in Navi XXXXXXX (Maharashtra-India) and reside at Kharghar (Pin- 410210).

Please suggest further.

Best Regards XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Refer to Gastroenterologist.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome again.

I never practice in XXXXXXX and don't know any doctor personally but
There are reviews written by our users about doctors in our listing, those can guide you for a better doctor. You can search for a doctor in your area at below link
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/Gastroenterologists-in-Maharashtra/L18883S14.
Or
You can search a gastroenterology doctor at this link
http://navimumbaidoctors.com/gastroenterologist-in-kharghar.html.

Hope I have answered your query.
If you do not have further clarifications please close this discussion and rate this answer.
Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 20 hours later
Hi Dr. Bhagyalaxmi,

Thank you again.

Presently, I am feeling OK.
Never the less, now, I have understood the reasons for the problem in my stomach.
I have decided to take care of my food habits, feel good in oneself, excercises to avoid acidity and stomach pain.

Hope, with the advices from you and Dr. XXXXXXX earlier and my sincere adoption of good practices to maintain my body fit, I will not have problem in the future.
Also, just to inform you, I have done annual medical check from your partner Express Clinic at Seawood, Nerul. All report says I am fit.

I will revert back/ contact you again if there is any need.

Thanks a lot for all your kind advices.

Best Regards XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
My Pleasure

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome again.

I appreciate your decision.
It is good to hear all your reports are normal and you are fit and fine.

If you have any queries I will be pleased to help you.
I wish you a good health.

Thank you.