• question-icon

What causes severe sternum pain and tingling sensation in the arms?

Posted on Tue, 25 Jul 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Exercising or eating too much causes pressure buildup in the chest/lungs causing severe pain with radiating tingling to arms. Relief is obtained by standing and belching until it seems like all air/gas is expelled from the body. Usually takes 5 to 10 minutes. Then, am able to continue with light activities and no pain at all. No bloating, cramping or pain of the stomach or other areas of the body.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
angina?

Detailed Answer:

although not typical this presentation can be caused by angina. Both exercising and eating are triggers for angina in predisposed individuals. Angina may present with arm symptoms particularly the left arm.

Other potential causes (which wouldn't explain all the symptoms though) may include:
- slipped cervical disc or narrowing of the cervical spine may exert pressure on the nerves and cause arm symptoms. The chest symptoms are not expected though.
- gastroesophageal reflux disease may cause symptoms similar to angina (because the nerve distribution is the same for both heart and esophageal symptoms) but the arm symptoms are not typical for this disorder.

The 5-10 minutes are consistent with angina. Symptoms of angina are relieved with reduced physical activity (like standing and belching).

You'd better talk with your primary care physician or a cardiologist for appropriate testing.

I hope you find my comments helpful!
Kind Regards!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis