• question-icon

What causes severe sore throat, cough and cold?

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi Doctor,
For the past 48 hours I have had sever sore throat, coughing that produces Phlegm. I have been taking over the counter nighttime cold and flu relief and have managed to get some sleep. Not feeling that the symptoms are going away. What do you think?
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Viral or bacterial throat infection

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern. At this point, sore throats lasting 48 hours does not yet make it clear whether it's a viral or bacterial infection. If it is viral, it is probably just a cold and it should get better by tomorrow. If no change and you develop a fever, malaise and muscle pain, it is most probably strep throat and you need an antibiotic to treat it.

If the cough and sore throat are the only symptoms it could be stomach acid reflux. In this case, an anti-acid (eg. Omeprazole) should do the trick. Ensure to remain well hydrated by drinking a lot of water (also drink plenty of warm liquids, soups, broths etc.)

However, if you develop any of these: difficulty swallowing and/or breathing, joint pain, a fever over 101 F, a rash, bloody mucus, please see a doctor at your earliest convenience.

Also, if you have none of the above-mentioned symptoms, but you continue to experience soreness and additionally hoarseness for more than 10 days, please see a doctor.

I hope this answers your question.
You're welcome to ask any further questions you might have.

Wishing you good health and all the best.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Ornela Ademovi