What causes severe sore throat and painful swallowing?

Excellent

ENT Specialist
Question
My mother is 93 and has a severe sore throat - painful to swallow. No fever. A corresponding issue is an infected toe and she has begun taking antibiotics.
Mon, 28 May 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Acute pharyngitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to HealthcareMagic and thanks for putting up the query
Your mother is probably suffering from acute tonsillitis or pharyngitis. Please tell me what antibiotic is she taking?
If possible please send me the picture of the throat so that I can suggest you better.
Give her tablet diclofenac plus serratiopeptidase twice daily and tablet vitamin c once daily.
Hexidine gargles 3 to 4 times a day.
Follow up with the required information.
Thanks and regards

Follow-up: What causes severe sore throat and painful swallowing? 14 hours later
She started yesterday on Ciprofloxacin 500mg twice daily for 7 days. This was prescribed for her infected toe but I assume it will also help with her pharyngitis?

We will start on your recommendations today.

Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Acute pharyngitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Yes ciprofloxacin will be fine and continue with the other prescribed medicines as well.
Any further questions are always welcome.
Thanks and regards