What causes severe shoulder pain?

Dr. Anantharamakrishnan

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 4 Nov 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hello Doc,
Brief intro about myself: I am 38years, mother of two. When I was 5years, i had a Open heart surgery (ASD) and was operated successfully without any problems.
Two months back, I consulted another doctor online on this site as I used to feel very tired / fatigued ; having severe headaches, frequently taking saridon tablets etc. The online doctor requested me to take blood test and Echo which i did and all results came normal. I attach these reports for your reference.
TODAY, when I normally sitting at my home, I developed a sudden pain (sometimes intense) in my left shoulder starting from back (behind neck) and covering the entire left hand. Severity of pain lasted for couple of hours then became little less but again started late evening which came and went. At times burping and formation of gas too is present. I have not taken any medicines for this today except applying iodex in the entire pain area. Do let me know your comments.
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Muscle pain likely / get investigated

Detailed Answer:
Hi friend
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Your symptoms do not suggest Coronary Artery Disease (CAD) – pain from the heart is oppressing, in central chest (and left), worse on effort, relieved by rest, may radiate to shoulders and arms, associated with sweating and so on. Also, it is very uncommon in women of child bearing age.

It sounds like muscular pain. It could also be from food pipe, because of the relation to food.

- An X-ray chest, X-ray or MRI of the neck spine will give clue.
- Upper GI endoscopy (Gastroscopy) can conform or exclude stomach problems,
- There are no clues in the investigations enclosed… Because of recurrence, however, it is better to have a Treadmill Exercise Electrocardiogram (TMT) to convince yourself and the doctor!

In the meantime, Over The Counter (OTC) analgesic like simple paracetamol can help / Muscle relaxants help / Antacid like magaldrate, Proton Pump Inhibitor like Omeprazole or H2 antagonist like ranitidine can help

Discuss with your treating doctor / get appropriate prescription / and follow up

Good luck
God bless you