What causes severe shoulder pain and numbness in arm?
It is cervical spondylitis
I have read your question and I think it is cervical spondylitis. There is nerve compression in the neck due to disc herniation. This causes numbness and pain in both hand.
To confirm the diagnosis you need to get MRI of the neck.
Till you get this done I would suggest you some thing which I recommend to my patients.
1. Avoid using very high pillow. Also do not keep neck in same position for long time like watching tv or laptop.
2. Pregabalin and Methylcobal tablets
3. Soft cervical collar
4. Neck muscle physiotherapy and traction.
I hope this answers will help you. Let me know if there is any follow up questions.
I still think that it is cervical
I understand what you are thinking. But cervical spondylitis does not always causes neck pain. Pain in shoulder is due to nerve compression.
Some time both shoulder impingement and spondylitis can coexist. A ultrasound of shoulder will also be helpful.
A MRI will able to tell you the difference.
Numbness in pinky side is also suggestive of cervical spondylosis.
It can be a B 12 deficiency
I will still keep cervical spondylosis as most common cause of your problem. Rarely such symptoms can be due to vitamin B 12 deficiency. B 12 is neruro vitamin and its deficiency causes such symptoms like numbness. I would suggest you to go ahead with the test I suggested.
You can also get a B 12 estimation.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Experiencing severe shoulder pain taking advil no numbness help
- What causes severe shoulder pain and stiffness in muscles
- Diagnosis of Severe shoulder pain
- Treatment and cure for Severe shoulder pain
- What causes severe shoulder pain leading to stiffness in neck
- Severe shoulder pain causes
- Symptoms of Severe shoulder pain
- Severe shoulder pain without injury
- Sudden severe shoulder pain
- Severe shoulder pain after fall