What causes severe sharp pain in the right hip?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 27 Aug 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: The night before last I woke up with a horrific sharp pain in my right hip and couldn't move from the waist down. After some struggle and help from my husband we were able to unlock it. I don't think I've ever felt pain like that and it terrified me I must say. I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis and osteoporosis in that hip a few years back. It's still very stiff and sore. Should I call my doctor? Or is this common with hip arthritis? If it happens again do I risk breaking it by trying to fix it myself? Is there a way to prevent it?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to osteoarthritis.

Detailed Answer:
A sudden horrific pain in the hip that you had can be related to arthritis or due to a muscle cramp. It can happen due to osteoarthritis. You need to do a hot compress and take a mild pain killer for relief. This does not seem to be an emergency situation but in case it happens again, do not try to fix it yourself. It is better to do a hot compress to relax the muscles and decrease the inflammation. Do consult regarding this on your next visit to orthopedician and get some oral muscle relaxants prescribed.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal