What causes severe right-sided pain in face, neck and ear?

Posted on Tue, 2 Jun 2015 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I GET SEVERE PAIN ON RIGHT SIDE OF FACE, EYE, JAW, HEAD, NECK, EAR IF I LAY TOO LONG ON MY RIGHT SIDE. iT HAS BEEN SO SINCE I HAD MENINGITIS WHEN I WAS 25. I AM NOW 52. only NOW THE PAIN IS WORSE AND MY EYE GETS COMPLETELY CLOSED. I HAVE PAIN IN MY RIGHT EYE ONLY. IT GETS BLURRY . IT HURTS A LOT IF I TRY MOVING IT, SEEING, OPENNING, FOCUSING ON ANYTHING. MY EYEBALL HURTS MORE THAN ANY OF THE OTHER THINGS AND MY EAR. I BECOME SENSITIVE TO NOISE IN MY RIGHT EAR.
Answered by Dr. Ahmad Nazzal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
neuralgia, refer to neurologist.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

First thank you for trusting us in HCM. I will make sure to answer your question and concern up to my best knowledge.

From the symptoms you described it look like you have trigeminal neuralgia as a complication of your previous meningitis episode. It can lead to severe pain in one side of the face, plus pain in the eye ball, and sensitivity to light.

To make sure and to get the proper treatment you need to visit a neurologist.

A couple of new drugs were developed in the last couple of years to treat pain originating from nerves referred to medically as neuralgia, and they can reduce your pain, and some medication to reduce muscle spasms if they happen.

There are surgical options available but this needs the consultation of a neurosurgeon.

So If i would suggest a plan it is first refer to a neurologist a try the medications I described above, If this is not helping as your neurologist for the surgical options available and he or she will refer you to surgery. Nevertheless always leave surgery as a last resort.

Meanwhile you can continue doing what you are already doing which is avoiding provocative factors that lead to the pain feeling.

I hope this helped guide you into your therapeutic plan, please feel free to keep me updated with results and any more questions.

Best regards,
Dr. Ahmad Nazzal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Ahmad Nazzal