• question-icon

    What causes severe right sided head pain?

Posted on Thu, 18 May 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hello Dr. Rynne; My name is XXXX- for appx. 3-4 months I have been having a terrible pain in the right side of my head acc. by extreme dizziness when standing, sitting or rapid head movement. This has developed into vertigo in some instances (feeling of falling or no balance) and over the last 2-3 mo. my left hand goes numb from time to time (2-3 times/week lately) and absolutely no energy. If I ran full out for 100 ft. I'd have to sit down for 1/2 a day. No energy. No stamina.
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Needs CT or MRI brain and detailed neurological examination

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to HealthcareMagic! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all, it is sad to know what you had gone through.

Based on the history you have shared, these symptoms can't be ignored and should be evaluated preferably by a neurologist or a neurosurgeon after a detailed neurological examination, and then proceeding to CT or MRI Brain as first priority as this can be menifestation of multiple neurological conditions including space occupying lesions inside brain.

If examination is absolutely normal and there is no focal neurological defect, other aspects like some ear conditions contributing to vertigo should also be evaluated by an otolaryngologist or ENT specialist.

Basic blood work up including baselines blood screens as well levels for lipid profile, B12, folic acid, thyroid, sugar levels, as well as renal functions should also be evaluated keeping the history of kidney disease in past.

Vertigo is a multi system disorder and has even relations to cardiac conditions like arrythmias or BP fluctuations so a baseline EKG and of needed holter monitoring may also be needed but keeping in view your other symptoms, it can be considered down the list as neurological symptoms are too significant to be ignored.

Meanwhile only OTC analgesics like acetaminophen can be used temporarily. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your query, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Answered by
Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2011

Answered : 3272 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Lipid profile

doctor1 MD

i am 48 years old I regularly taking Atorcia TG tab daily , Xirtam 20 my lipid profile are given cholesterol - H 203 triglycerides - H 813...

doctor1 MD

Dear Sir, I am 37 Years old, my weight 65kg, I am suffering from diabetes last 10 years & Cholesterol from 6 years now Neuropathic pain also. I am...

doctor1 MD

i went to the dr. 4 months ago and they said i need to lower my cholesterol are they would have to put me on medication. so i went back this week...

doctor1 MD

For the past 4 days, my blood pressure has been running anywhere from 130/95 to 120/102. My blood pressure is usually normal (typically 120/78 or...

doctor1 MD

Hi, Can you please check my blood, ecg and usg reports and let me know on which areas should I take care? Also, any suggestions on any specific...

doctor1 MD

My Father has been gone through the medical health check-up.I need your input over the attached reports.My father is taking medicine triglynase1...

doctor1 MD

My Father has been gone through the medical health check-up.I need your input over the attached reports.Mainly i want to know the health of the...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

130 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin
  • Q - Suggest treatment for UTI post urinary catheterization?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for cough during consumption while treating bulbar palsy

  • Q - What causes burning feeling in underarm with painful tiny bumps?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for pain in shoulders, upper arm and back

  • Q - What causes irregular heart beat on exertion in a person post cardiac...

  • Q - Suggest treatment for bleeding from gums

  • Q - Suggest treatment for the pain associated with post-herpetic neuralgia

  • Q - What does persistent nasal bleeding indicate?

  • Q - What causes Raynaud's phenomenon?

  • Q - What causes chronic heaviness under left rib cage and shortness of breath?