• question-icon

What causes severe right sided abdominal pain?

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I am having severe pain on the right lower stomach area. It has been continuous for 3 months. I have been to the ER twice. Scat scan twice. One with contrast. They say it could be a hiatal hernia, pancreatitis, duodinitis .
I am scared and in a lot of pain. Please help.
Answered by Dr. Sunil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Iff ct with contrast is normal particular organ can't be involved.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query.

Our gastrointestinal tracts, which comprised of the small intestine and stomach get inflamed in this condition. If not treated properly episodes may repeat again and again called as chronic gastroenteritis. Infections caused by virus, bacteria, parasites or fungi may lead to gastroenteritis. Viruses account for this disease the most. This disease is transmitted mainly through food items and contaminated water.
As CT scan ids normal it can't be appendix or pancreas.Most likely its enteritis(inflammation of gut can be duodenitis or gastroenteritis).

Treatment suggested:
Take a course of antibiotic Cefixime 200 mg twice daily with Metronidazole 400 mg thrice daily for 5 days (you may need a prescription from your local physician for these).
A probiotic like Econorm three times a day it will improve the overall digestion.
For pain in abdomen take a combination of mefanimic acid with dicyclomine twice daily for 3 days.
Keep on taking prilosec.
Follow-up after 5 days.

In your previous medication you were not given anti inflammatory and antispasmodics which logically are the main stay of treatment of (itis:swelling).

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Sunil

Gastroenterologist