What causes severe redness and irritation in the left eye?

Posted on Mon, 15 May 2017 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I am having an eye problem. I awoke a day last week with a feeling that something is in my left eye and it was redder than normal. I put drops in it & that helped with the redness but the irritation is still there. I wear contacts so I switched them out and that did not help. The pain is there without them in also. There is a constant red area. This morning I awoke to a similar issue in my right eye. They are now both irritated and sensitive, especially to light. My vision has also been hazy. I had pink eye a couple months ago but got it cleared up with the usual medicine. This is different. It is worst first in the morning & at night. Your thoughts? and if I need to go to a doctor do I go to an eye doctor or my regular dr? Thanks for you help!
Answered by Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Eye problem

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your query on HCM

I do understand your concern

As per your history you have eye problem and in my opinion you should do physical examination by an ophthalmologist in your area who will do a clinical examination of your eye.if it is due to [Trachoma]bacterial infection your doctor will prescribe azithromycin orally and tetracycline eye ointment.if your infection is due to herpes simplex virus your doctor will prescribe you [acyclovir ointment or ganciclovir gel]& steroid eye drops.

So visit your doctor soon and take medication after examination only,

Hope that helps
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo