What causes severe prolonged diarrhea?
I have been experiencing diarrhea for a few weeks now. I went to a gastro and he was not "alarmed" as my bouts would be a few in a row then OK for the rest of the day, and never wakes me up at night. He ordered a bunch of stool and blood tests, all normal. He did CBC, comp metabolic and celiac. Cultures were normal too. I was hoping one of these would come up positive, but now very anxious they have not and am thinking it's colon cancer. Now I'm feeling worse and having to take Imodium. Does severe anxiety make diarrhea worse? I should mention I have not seen any blood but do have a history of blood. I had a colonoscopy 8 years ago which showed a very large hemheroid (sp)
Malabsorption/food intolerance or IBS...
Having diarrhea for a few weeks while cultures were all normal might be related to;
- malabsorption or food intolerance
- IBS (anxiety makes it worst)
If other tests resulted negative, then should schedule another colonoscopy to determine the problems with your bowel. If everything will result ok, then, IBS is confirmed.
As you may see, we should exclude organic problems first before determining that it is IBS.
Hope it was of help! If anything unclear, do not hesitate to contact me.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes severe pain in stomach followed by diarrhea
- Prolonged diarrhea in adults
- What causes stomach pain diarrhea and severe migraine
- What causes abdominal cramping diarrhea and severe headache
- What causes severe diarrhea with extereme weakness
- What are the causes of prolonged diarrhea
- Toddler with prolonged diarrhea and red cheeks
- What can cause severe diarrhea
- What causes severe itching and diarrhea
- Causes for prolonged diarrhea