• question-icon

What causes severe peripheral neuropathy when diagnosed with myopathy?

Posted on Tue, 12 Jul 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have been diagnosed with a biopsy that I have Inclusion Body Myopathy Type 2. I also have severe peripheral neuropathy diagnosed at Froethert. I am seen at Froethert Cancer Clinic for abnormal serum electrophoresis with lamdia lights. My symptoms of bodily weakness and severe pain are increasing daily and no one can give me answers. I spend most of my time in bed or a wheelchair. Where can I go for help?
Answered by Dr. Nagamani Ng 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hydrocodone and acetaminophen

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to us,
Even though Inclusion body myopathy is a condition of muscle weakness not the pain, most of the people suffering from it do have complaints of pain.
Your age factor adds an extra etiology for the pain in your case. These pains could be due to the side effects of medications also. In your case as you are trying all conservative methods to relieve pain you can try TAB. HYDROCODONE, or TAB. ACETAMINOPHEN 325 mg twice daily for few days and further have it only whenever you get the pain.
TAB. HYDROCODONE is available only on prescription by a doctor. You can meet any good neuro muscular specialist and visit pain management centers who may help you to have a better lifestyle management. If you want to know good consultants nearby you, kindly send me the city of your residence.
Hope this information is helpful to you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Nagamani Ng