• question-icon

What causes severe periodic pain in lower right back, vertigo and night sweats?

Posted on Thu, 26 May 2016 in Kidney Conditions
Question: Symptoms of 72 year old man: newly developed severe periodic pain in lower right back around kidney area causing difficulty walking or even lying in certain positions or climbing stairs. Intensity Comes and goes over hours. Very recent addition : vertigo and sweats at night also in waves. Am pill controlled diabetic . Urination normal. Weight stable .
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need evaluation

Detailed Answer:

This periodic pain in the back can be due to disc degeneration in the vertebrae of the back, impinging on the nerve originating through the space. The nerve is impinged between muscles and/or muscle spasm around the area. These muscles are very small to support any curvature loss in the spinal column.
I suggest an evaluation with MRI of the spine.
Vertigo and sweats can be serious when they are new symptoms especially in a diabetic who is on pills. They may succumb to hypoglycemia (low sugars) at times especially during the small hours of the night. So blood glucose monitoring is required.
Sometimes same symptoms may mimic a blood supply compromise to the heart.
All in all you need a fresh evaluation for the fresh set of symptoms.
Follow up: Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 35 minutes later
Thank you. Back pain seems localized to the far right at belt height toward right hip (right when facing my back) and tender. Radiates pain dozen right leg when walking. Comes and goes but in long intervals...not minutes....I have long had slight imbalance late at night when getting up to go to bathroom...but this is the first instance of real vertigo (room spinning) and heavy sweats that lasted several hours...Vertigo was mother's problem late in life. I should add that I have very enlarged prostate but always negative prostate cancer tests...and fairly stable PSA within typical (for me) 6 month swings over many years.
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Vertigo sounds an emergency

Detailed Answer:

My opinion remains same about low back pain on the right side.
But vertigo and heavy sweats sounds like an emergency. I would not wait.
Once it is confirmed not of any serious nature I would happy to go back home.

I would not worry about prostate cancer or that sorts now. They can be handled on elective basis.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow up: Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 51 minutes later
Thanks. blood sugar currently 160 where it often hovers daytime. Am a long ways from home (now in Florida USA) . Would like to see my doctors at home in ten days.
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Primary evaluation should do

Detailed Answer:

How are you feeling now?

What I meant was at least a primary evaluation like basic pulse, BP, resp rate, general examination and specific examination Head, ENT is all needed. Any urgent care in florida can offer you with a small pay.
You can take Aspirin 150mg as precautionary if not allergic to it.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 27 hours later
Urgent care PA sent me to major Hospital Emergency room; provided full work up for cause of vertigo , including EKG, blood tests, x Rays, And CatScan and determined all signs negative except CatScan showed mild maxillary sinusitis and Dr., prescribed antibiotic for sinus infection and medication for vertigo with doctor Followup early next week. Feeling much improved already.
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 38 hours later
Brief Answer:
I am happy that you improved

Detailed Answer:

A primary evaluation had taken away serious things for your recent illness.
I am happy about that and anti vertigo medicine gives you an instant relief. This temporarily numbs your balance and anti balance functions in the ear.

You may go back to your home town get annual regular check up with your primary care doctor.

If you have any more queries please let me know else you may close our discussion.

Dr. V. N. S. Parinam