What causes severe pain radiating from neck to mid back?
Cat stretch pose
Hi and thanks for your query.
You have described the pain to be severe so you will need to start with mild stretches. One such stretch is cat stretch pose.
For such pain you should consult a well trained physiotherapist and do the exercises under his guidance.
1. Lie on your stomach. Then raise yourself to form a table such that your back forms the table top and your hands and feet form the legs of the table.
Keep your arms perpendicular to the floor, with the hands directly under the shoulders and flat on the ground; your knees are hip-width apart.
Look straight ahead.
2. As you inhale, raise your chin and tilt your head back, push your navel downwards and raise your tailbone.
Hold the Cat pose and take long, deep breaths.
3. Follow this by a counter-movement: As you exhale, drop your chin to your chest and arch your back up as much as you can do comfortably.
Hold this pose for a few seconds before you return to the initial table-like stage.
4. Continue five or six rounds before you come out of this yoga posture.
This pose will give your backbone the much needed stretch.
Simple shoulder rotations should also help.
Neck rotations may not suit you now but will suit you once your pain is less.
Hope it helps.
Thanks in advance.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes severe pain in testicles
- What causes sever pain in the abdomen
- What causes severe pain in the upper back shoulders
- What causes severe pain in heels
- What causes severe pain in elbows
- What causes severe pain at back and legs
- What causes severe pain from back to arm
- What causes severe pain in neck arms and thighs
- What could cause severe pain in lower back with vomiting
- What is the cause of severe pain in the legs