• question-icon

What causes severe pain on left-sided back under the ribs after quitting Xanax?

Posted on Thu, 26 May 2016 in Drug Abuse
Question: I've quit doing Xanax cold turkey and out of the blue I started having unbarable pain on the left side of my back right under my ribs it is getting progressivly worse
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Muscle spasms

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for contacting HCM with your health care concerns

I am sorry to hear that you are getting muscle spasms on your left side. This is a result of your withdrawals. I would not recommend restarting your xanax but would recommend moist heat and rest and massage. If that does not help the over the counter analgesics like tylenol and ibuprofen may give you some relief. If these measures do not help then you may need to see your medical provider for medication to stop muscle spasms.

In summary
1. Left sided muscle spasms a result of withdrawals from xanax
2. Moist heat, massage and OTC analgesics
3. If no improvement then see your medical provider

I hope I answered your question. Please contact us again if you have any additional questions
Dr. Ronald Schubert