What causes severe pain in upper spine at night?

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: hi thankyou for being here,i have been for the last 2 weeks every night when I have been asleep for several hours ,I wake to such bad pain just in one spot in my upper spine but the pain radiates thru my mid drift ,upper torso, I have found it only happens mid thru the night ,when I get up in the morning and move around the pain goes away ,and then its the same process the next time ,I go to sleep, I had a cat scan ,it showed I had arthritis of the spine ,do you think I should have further tests. im 48 years old
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
No reason for more exams for now.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

The fact that the pain is more pronounced at night while being relieved by activity is a common feature of arthritis manifestation so you shouldn't be much worried on that regard. An exacerbation can take some time to subside so you should be patient, for now only pain killers and scheduling physical therapy is recommended.

Features which should prompt more evaluation are those evoking spinal cord involvement (numbness, tingling, weakness of the limbs, difficulty urinating), fever, loss of weight, history of cancer, infection like HIV, escalating pain. But I must say the fact you had the CT is reassuring.

I remain at your disposal for further questions.