What causes severe pain in upper left abdomen?

Dr. Hari Charan Perigela

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Abdominal Pain
Question: greetings from the far north...i have this ongoing pain in upper left abdomin severity comes and goes, but always there as a dull ache..when a severe attack comes pain on the scale of 1-10 about a 6...have had this for a few years and is slowly getting worse..i am 73 years old
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
You should get a Colonoscopy.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Lesions from Spleen,Tail of pancreas,Descending colon cause pain in the left upper quadrant of the abdomen.
As CT Scan abdomen is normal,lesions of the spleen and pancreas are excluded . Colonoscopy will diagnose the lesions of the colon.If Colonoscopy is normal,then the pain.could be due to musculoSkeletal cause.
Consult your doctor and get Colonoscopy.
Hope I answered your query. If you have any questions, I will clarify further.
Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 14 hours later
XXXX...colon oscopy Xxx..pain wrong place, best clarify better
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Diagnostic Laparoscopy is the next option.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Colon extends from right lower quadrant,through right upper quadrant, left upper quadrant to the left lower quadrant of the abdomen.
Recently, I came across a patient with Single Colonic polyp in the ascending colon with pain at that area intermittently. Colonoscopy confirmed the diagnosis.
The next option is Diagnostic Laparoscopy.Whole abdomen can be visualsed with this procedure.
Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T