What causes severe pain in upper chest and tingling sensation in left arm?
This is possible
first of all if you woke up because of the pain then this is most likely something serious. Heart related pain may sometimes be relieved by itself so the fact that tums made you feel better is not a definite reason to attribute your symptoms to the gastrointestinal system.
I'll mention a few potential causes of your problem (the most serious ones).
- angina: this is heart related pain (heart attack). It could be a pain of short duration (15 minutes or so, which is called angina) or a more severe long lasting pain (more than 30 minutes, myocardial infarction). In any case this is medical emergency.
- gastrointestinal pain: could be caused by gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) or peptic ulcer. Although you found relief in tums, the location and severity of the pain makes this possibility less likely.
So in conclusion, even if you're perfectly fine right now, you should visit the emergency room at once to check your heart with an electrocardiogram and blood tests. More tests and inverventions might be needed depending on the results.
Contact me again, if you have more questions or need clarifications.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What could cause tingling sensation in left hand
- What causes tingling sensation in head
- What causes tingling sensation in upper lip and face
- Knee injury severe pain weakness tingling sensation numbness reason
- What causes tingling sensation on face
- What is the remedy for tingling sensation in the chest
- What causes pulsating pain and tingling sensation in left leg
- What causes pain and tingling sensation in hands
- Tingling sensation in arm finger what could be the cause
- What causes tingling sensation and numbness in hands and arms