What causes severe pain in the upper abdomen?

Dr. Hari Charan Perigela

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 22 Sep 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I'm having severe pain at the top of my stomach.This has happened a few times before.Tylenol gives me some relief,but I don't know think zantac helps at all
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The cause of the abdominal pain has to be found out.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Tylenol is a pain killer.
But,the cause of the abdominal pain has to be diagnosed.
If the pain is in the centre of upper abdomen,above belly button, it could be due to Gastritis and Rantac may be helpful.
If the pain is on the right upper part of the upper abdomen, it could be due to Liver disease or Gall bladder stones.
If the pain is in right lower part of abdomen, it could be due to Appendicitis or Right sided ureteric stone .This pain may radiate to upper abdomen also.
Ultrasound abdomen will give a clue.
I gastritis, I prefer proton pump inhibitor like Rabeprazole 20mg twice daily before food for few weeks.If there is no relief, I will get investigations like Ultrasound abdomen, Upper GI endoscopy.
Please consult your doctor, get examined clinically.
Hope I answered your query.If you have any questions, I will clarify further.
Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj