What causes severe pain in the shin?

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 24 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: have severe bone pain in the shin area. Female age 31 weight 120, ho allergies. Onset this AM. Recently had flu &fever.
Hurts to walk, climb stairs, and coughing or sneezing causes increase in bone pain
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Muscle spasm

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

Thanks for the query

It is possible that you're having a muscle spasm, of the muscle near the shin.

Avoid jogging or running. Apply ice to the affected region. Avoid climbing stairs. Keep the limb elevated.

Continue Ibuprofen 400mg twice daily after food for 5 days in total. Perform ankle pump movements. Drink at least 6-8 glasses of water daily.

If you do not improve, do get an X-ray of the tibia bone and upload for my review.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee