What causes severe pain in the right lower back?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Wed, 7 Sep 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: CTscans have seen that there're 4 kidney stones in each kidney about a year ago. Prior to that I did have a stone that tried to pass. 2 1/2 weeks ago pain started on the right side of my back and then followed pain that made made it very hard to have a bm. The pain has continued and the pain is high enough (7+). For the last few days the pain has been particularly bad around the hip bone. My urologist treated me for another bladder/uti infection. Started again with Uribel and tramadol. I just had a ct scan yesterday but the pain continues even using a heating pad. Are these symptoms because of a stone passing? How long will this last? I have had numerous medical problems including breast, paratyphoid and thyroid. I've been diagnosed with kidney cancer a year and a half. Due to the position surgery was not recommended at this time.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Pain in back is due to stone causing obstruction to urine flow .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query you have been known to have multiple stones in both the kidneys and also cancer of the kidney and getting severe pain in Rt lower back .

I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me in making comments on your problem
1) Which kidney you have cancer of ?
2) Do you have hematuria?
3) Does the pain associated with fever and chills suggesting infection ?.
4) What is the size and site of the stones reported on CT scan ?

The pain is usually due to back pressure changes in the kidney (Hydronephrosis)due to stone being impacted in ureter and causing obstruction to flow of urine down into bladder .

In a given situation I shall be happy to go through reports of your CT scan and also to know the nature and site of cancer of the Kidney making surgery not feasible .

In the mean while continue taking pain killers and antibiotics .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions , I shall be happy to help you .
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.