What causes severe pain in the right hip?

Dr. Priyanka G Raj

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am having pain in the right hip. I have not fallen. The pain is so severe I am limping and it hurts with each step I take. Any suggestions?
Answered by Dr. Priyanka G Raj 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Due to muscle strain or arthritis

Detailed Answer:
hi
Thanks for the query
I can understand your concern.

In my opinion your pain in right hip is due lower back muscle strain or may be a cause of arthritis. It depends on duration.If it is short duration , probably due to muscle strain.If you are having it since long time it might be due to arthritis.

For pain you can take pain killers like tablet ibubrofen, Acetaminophen twice daily after food for 3 days.

If pain is too much to bear you can go muscle relaxants like tab ultracet along with Tab Pantop 500mg for 2 days.

Follow below tips to reduce pain
1 hot packs/cold packs over pain area
2 hot oil massage to the pain area/physiotherapy
3 Watch your posture.
Be especially careful of your posture when lifting heavy objects. Never bend over from the waist. Instead, bend and straighten from the knees.
4 Watch your weight. Use diet and exercise to keep your weight within a healthy
range.

5 Avoid longstanding and sitting in same posture.
6.You can start calcium supplements if required

If it is not reducing with above methods you may need to meet Orthopedic surgeon, doctor may ask you to get done X ray to look into any fracture or any signs of arthritis.
If you are having any doubt you are welcome.

Thank you

Dr Priyanka XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj