What causes severe pain in the ribs?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2017
Sep 2017

Pulmonologist
Question
Hi Doctor,

History of Pain in rib cage and center of the chest(vertical)

I have been experiencing pain in rib cage from 2 yrs

First visited pulmonologist and after TMT test..he ruled out that its a vitamin deficiency and gave vitamin D3 and calicium tablets..the pain is gone and now from last 3 months i got this pain again..now went to orthopedic ..xray was take from front and side..nothing was there he told me..he went said vitamin D3 and gave pills..also i said thinking of this my heart beat increase and night i am not able to sleep properly..he gave ultracet and inderal

Mostly the pain is left and right side of rib cage and under arm pits and center of the chest vertical way down

I have consulted doctor and got various tests done. Attached the reports.

My pain did not go away after finishing the course of tablets. Experiencing pain in back of left rib cage below shoulder also.

Please guide me in diagnosing the issue or help in finding the right specialist with whom I should consult for further treatment.
3 days ago in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of costochondritis is more likely.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
I have gone through the reports you have attached.
It is inflammation of rib cartilage.
Best treatment is warm water pad application on affected areas.
You can also apply volini gel or Enzoflam gel.
Avoid heavyweight lifting and strenuous exercise.
Avoid sudden jerky movements of chest.
Please let me know if you have stressful life.
I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.

Follow-up: What causes severe pain in the ribs? 9 hours later
Thanks for your reply

I have been going to gym for years now and i do lift weights..do you think that can be a cause?

If it is inflammation why it hasn't cured away from month? i have been experiencing this pain from month? also applying of gel and warm water will do away inflammation? or do i need to use any medicine to relive the pain?

I work in a software company, I do sit for prolonged hours. At times I do feel stressful with the work. Also I think a lot about other things.

I was searching what costochondritis means it also returned this similar condition pleurisy and pleuritis..but this seems quite dangerous..is there any diagnosis which can rule out these dangerous infections?

I don't have cough or cold but daily i get some phlegm which i think its coming from an infection? even though the phlegm doesnt have any yellow or green color..i do feel something is there in my chest

please advise the next course

Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Costochondritis is clinical diagnosis.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Sorry for late reply as I was busy.
Honestly speaking, costochondritis is clinical diagnosis. It can not be diagnosed on reports and tests.
Yes, you are right. It can recur if you continue doing things which aggravate it.
In your case, aggravating factors could be prolonged sitting, some of the work outs in gym.
So in my opinion, you should sit with proper back support.
Continue calcium and vitamin d 3 supplements.
I don't think it is pleurisy because pleurisy causes cough and fever and these are absent in your case.
Please let me know if you are smoker.

Follow-up: What causes severe pain in the ribs? 7 hours later
I quit smoking 5 years back..yes I have started using calcium and D3..and also I gave gym a break from 2 weeks..for this pain to go away do I need to take any pain killers or any antibiotics?

Brief Answer:
It is better not to use painkillers.

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your concern.
No need of antibiotics in your case. So don't take any antibiotic.
It is better not to take any painkiller.
But you can take combination of painkiller and anti inflammatory drugs like aceclofenac and paracetamol combination.
Don't take Ultracet. It is not good for costochondritis related pain.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.

Follow-up: What causes severe pain in the ribs? 1 hour later
Thanks for your reply..I will calcium and D3 for a month..can you name that tablet for paracetamol and alfenic combination..? I will do a follow-up with you after one month..how can I reach direct healthcare link? so that my question comes to you directly? Thanks for the guidance

Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Akilos P is commonly used in XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your concern.
In XXXXXXX Akilos P is commonly used brand.
Other brand names are Aceclo - Para, Acep - P, Ascent - P etc.
Or you can go to pharmacy and ask for 'Aceclofenac and paracetamol combination'.
Please let me know your weight so that I can guide you about dosing of Aceclofenac and paracetamol combination.
My direct link is bit.ly/askdrkaushalbhavsar.

Follow-up: What causes severe pain in the ribs? 2 days later
Thanks Doc
I will follow up with you after one month and i will continue to use calcium and D3 supplements

Can the phlegm(at the moment thick and non co loured) which can be cause of concern within the lungs? or its the normal with the inflammation which you outlined?

Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry much.

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your concern.
No need to worry for this phlegm.
Just be relax and calm, avoid stress and tension.
And I would love to hear from you after 1 month.
You can definitely reach to me any time directly on bit.ly/askdrkaushalbhavsar.
Hope I have solved your query. If you are not having further queries, then please close the conversation and rate my answer.
Wish you good health. Thanks.