What causes severe pain in the ribs?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 28 Mar 2017 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I have had a sharp, intermittent pain under my right rib cage. It is very painful and makes me feel like something is about to rupture.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Most likely costochondritic pain.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for choosing HealthcareMagic for asking your query.

Have gone through your detailed history.Most likely it can be costochondritic pain.
Costochondritis causes localized chest wall pain and tenderness that can be reproduced by pushing on the involved cartilage in the front of the rib cage. Costochondritis is a relatively harmless musculoskeletal chest pain but is very painful(As in your case).It is an inflammation of the junctions where the upper ribs join with the cartilage that holds them to the breastbone, or sternum. The condition causes severe chest pain that you can reproduce by pushing your rib cage.
I would advice you to go for a physical examination of chest by a physician,X-ray PA and Lateral should be done.
However as the pain is involving chest few tests like Stress test and Echo should be done to rule out possibility of angina or coronary artery disease.
Please answer the following questions-
Are you a smoker or alcoholic?
Do you have heartburn,Gastritis,Indigestion or any other gastric problem?
Can you localise site of pain with single finger or it is diffused?
From how long are you having this pain?
What are your anxiety levels?
What medications have you tried?
Please answer the question for further professional advice.
Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj