What causes severe pain in the prostate area?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I am having so much pain in my prostrate region that I can't even sleep. It also hurts to sit. My urine stinks too.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Bladder infection vs prostatitis

Detailed Answer:

It is likely from your description that you have a genitourinary infection. It may be prostatitis, but it could also be a bladder infection.

I strongly advise that you go in to an urgent care clinic, or if you don't have a 24 hour or late night one near you, go in to the ER. There they will get a urine sample for urinalysis and likely a culture. They can also check your prostate.

Getting a urinalysis and if abnormal (which I think it will be), a culture, is important as then you can get treatment for this. If a culture and sensitivity test is done, then they will know which antibiotic is most effective if there is an infection.

So go in now.

Regarding how long it takes for us to respond, it can take up to 24 hours, but usually someone will respond within an hour or two.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.