What causes severe pain in the mid back and rib cage?
Can be due to spondylosis of back.
Thanks for posting your query.
The pain in the middle back and rib cage that you have is likely to be due to spondylottic changes in the spine which is causing a mild nerve root compression causing pain and fatigue.
The following measures will help with the pain
• Lie on a hard bed.
• Anti -inflammatory drugs like Tablet Motrin 1 tablet as and when required ( do not repeat a dose before 6 hours) with food will help relieve the pain.
• Correct your posture while sitting
• Avoid prolonged sitting
• Avoid strenuous activity & lifting heavy weights.
• Apply diclofenac gel on the affected area. Warm compresses will also help.
Adequate rest and proper nutrition is equally important. Drink lots of fluids since dehydration affects the disc. Eat a diet rich in fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables, nuts, milk, eggs, pulses and cereals.Do brisk walking exercise for 40 minutes daily. Get 6-8 hours of refreshing sleep daily.
In case the pain is persistent then do consult an orthopedician and get an MRI scan done.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
Can be due to osteoarthritis and spondylosis.
Thanks for writing again.
The tenderness in the area can be due to weakness of the bone related to osteoarthritis. It will gradually decrease with calcium supplements. The pain in the back that you have described can be due to spondylottic changes in the spine. You can take Motrin for pain relief even if you are taking Zoloft and Klonopin at night.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What is recommended to cure severe pain in rib cage
- What causes severe pain in testicles
- What causes sever pain in the abdomen
- What causes severe pain in the upper back shoulders
- What causes severe pain in heels
- What causes severe pain in elbows
- What causes severe pain at back and legs
- What causes severe pain from back to arm
- What is the remedy for severe pain in rib cage
- What could cause severe pain in lower back with vomiting
- Can spinal stenosis cause joints pain and swollen ankle, thighs and knees?
- Having lower back pain with tickling and pulsating sensation. What could...
- MRI of knee showed occult displaced fracture. What is it and what is the...
- What is the cause and treatment for painful knee with walking difficulty?
- Having ump into superclavical. What could the long tube feeling be?
- MRI findings show posterior disc bulges at L5-S1 and L4-5 levels....
- MRI scan shows Lumbar spondylosis. Suggest
- What causes pain in left groin and lower back and how can it be treated?
- Had MRI scan of right ankle and prescribed with zyloric for reduction of...
- What would be the cause of sudden neck pain on one side?