What causes severe pain in the lower left abdominal area?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I woke up this morning and had a unusual pain in my lower left abdomen about 4 inches to the left of my belly button. I thought it was from sleeping on my left side too long. I am overweight and weigh about 335 pounds and am 62 years old.

I took a hot bath (at 6:45 AM) and the pain seemed to go away. However, now that I am at work, my pain has returned. I had a BM a few minutes ago and that has helped some. My bowel habits have been mostly daily, but the last week have been less.

This is very unusual for me as I have been relatively healthy and see my internist every six months. I have never had a pain on the left side. I had my appendix removed back in 1971.

Pulse is within normal range. I take Zebeta, 5 mg daily, one aspirin (82) and an eye vitamin.

Any thoughts?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
As detailed.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Noted your history carefully and understood your concerns.
As per the history you have provided this looks to be colitis affecting the descending colon.
Another possibility of diverticulitis also needs to be remembered.
Ureteric and kidney pain also can mimic pain.
Hence to differentiate the following should be done:
Tests of stool to see for infection.
Tests of blood and urine.
X-ray of abdomen to see for fecal loading, any gas- fluid levels.
Ultrasound of abdomen and CT scan, colonoscopy if any positive findings or if medical management fails to relieve symptoms.
Basic treatment as per the clinical evaluation and preliminary investigations
, I hope this answer helps, please feel free to ask for any further queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.