• question-icon

What causes severe pain in the left shoulder blade region?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Back Pain
Question: Hi Dr,
I am a 67 year old male. A few days ago I started experiencing severe pain in the area near my left shoulder blade. That pain has now subsided somewhat but I am now experiencing severe bouts of a burning sensation by my left breast. It is very painful but seems to subside when I stand up or walk. I am currently overseas and return to the US tomorrow.
Thank you in advance for any information you can give me. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Shingles or nerve entrapment.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific.
To recapitulate: Male/67 - currently overseas - returns to US tomorrow - severe pain in the are near left shoulder blade a few days ago - now subsided somewhat - severe bouts of burning sensation by left breast now - seems to subside on standing up or walking ...
With the classical history you have provided this seems to be a neurological affection.
The most probable causes may be:
- Herpes zoster
- Nerve entrapment.
Please check for any redness along the line from shoulder blade to the left breast bearing pain - suggestive Herpes zoster/Shingles.

You need a prescription based painkiller.
If there is no redness or vesicles you may then need an MRI of the thoracic spine. Anyway you will be returning to US hastening the proper diagnosis and management.

I hope this answers your query.
Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon