• question-icon

What causes severe pain in the left hand?

Posted on Mon, 3 Jul 2017 in Back Pain
Question: Hello doctor
This is for my Aunt who is 53 yrs. She started getting pain in her left hand which was bearable. She consulted an Orthopaedic doctor and was suggested physiotherapy. She did that. However the pain worsened. Now she has pain in both the hands. On consulting another doctor, she underwent an MRI scan after which the doctor suggested to perform a surgery to remove C5 disc as it is pressurising the nerve.

Is it safe to remove the disc? Is it really necessary to remove it or is there any other possibilities to cure without surgery? Attached are the reports.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Disc must be removed. Severe nerve compression.

Detailed Answer:
Hi there

Thanks for the query

Yes, the MRI scam shows a very tight canal for the nerves to 'breathe' at C5 C5 level.

She needs a disc removal. These days Endoscopic disc removal can cause very less post operative morbidity.

Disc removal is generally safe when performed by trained hands.

Disc must be removed because there is severe conpression of the nerves to the hands. Disc removal will give great relief.

Other possibilities are medication and physiotherapy. These aren't as good as surgery for her severe condition.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon