What causes severe pain in the left chest area?

Dr. Muhammad Ahmad

Posted on Tue, 13 Sep 2016 in General Health
Question: I sometimes get severe sensation and pain like feeling on my left chest area below my armpits.. at that moment it's kind of scary.. it goes off in a while after I drink water and take brisk walk.. I went to a physician. he had some blood tests and chest x ray done and he said everything is fine. what can it be? what tests do I need to get done? how can this be cured. please suggest which specialist I should consult for this?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ahmad 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Stomach pain is nost likely.Nest possibility can be muscle pain.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to Health Care Magic, I am Dr Muhammd Ahmad, I have closely read your question and I understand your concerns, I will hereby guide you regarding your health related problem.

Actually the scariest thing in chest pain is a heart but the pain you desrcribed doesn't seem to be heart related, heart pain gets worsened with brisk walk. The pain which gets better on walkimg and drinking water ks usually a stomach pain. Here i would need some info to guide you in etter detail.

1) What kind of pain is it sharp or dull?
2) Is there any particular time you feel pain?
3) Is it food related in any ways? like some people feel pain after meal some feel pain empty stomach some have pain with no relation to food.
4) Do you smoke? or drink loads of coffee or fizzy drinks like coke sprite etc?
5) Any other problems you have like Diabetes hyper tension?

I am looking forward for your input.

Regards.

Dr.Muhammad Ahmad.
General and Family Physician..
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Ahmad 21 minutes later
Thanks doctor for the response. Here are the answers to the questions.

Ans - Its more like a sensational uneasiness. feels like heart attack. nothing sharp pin like feeling.

Ans - No, it comes up anytime. Though, sometimes, I have noticed that when I stretch my arms during Pandiculation. It suddenly comes up.

Ans - Dont think food. But I drink once a week on weekends. I think it comes up after a bit of drinking I guess

Ans - Yes, I smoke

Ans - Yes, blood pressure.

Also, I did my heart related stress tests done too. And they all came normal.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ahmad 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
its not heart.Here is what you do...

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for writing back,

I have read your responces very closely and you said it is like heart attack here i want to mention that heart attack pain is not like that, it is more in central chest not in sides,it is crushing in nature, gets more severe with exertion while your pain gets better with walking, Heart pain doesn't change with raising arm or changing postures youe does. Heart pain is so severe that morphine is given to relieve the pain and some time even that doesn't work well , plus your heart tests are normal so be sure that you don't have heart pain neither the history nor the tests support it.

You pain is most probably stomach related or musculo skeletal in origin.
I would suggest you take following measures to get better results.

1) Avoid junk food, fizzy drinks.,, coffee , caffeine alcohol..smoking as much as you can.
2) Keep yourself well hydrated.
3) Take high fiber food.
4) Take small multiple meals instead of 2..3 large ones.
5) Take tablet tylenol 500mg when it pain.
6) Take syrup gaviscon 1 table spoon before every meal.
7) I would suggest my similar patients to take omeprazole 40mg once a day to aid stomach further.

There is not much to be worried about stay calm and follow my instruction i am quite positive that soon you will see improvement.

Regards.

Dr.Ahmad